Indigestion or dyspepsia prevents proper digestion of the food which usually cause pain or heaviness in the abdomen. It is a that causes symptoms such as vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and heartburn or acid reflux.
Symptoms of indigestion include:
· Heavy feeling after eating
· Nausea· Vomiting
· Stomach bloating
· Heartburn· Sour / salty taste in the mouth
Symptoms of indigestion are rare, but they should not be ignored, especially when you do not get better or you still experience severe diarrhea or vomiting after eating.
Indigestion also has alarm symptoms that can be an indication of a serious illness. Alarm symptoms can be anemia, loss of weight, anorexia, recent onset of progressive symptoms, melena, and difficulty in swallowing. It would be best to consult with a doctor if you experience any alarm symptoms.
What are the causes of dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia can be organic or functional. Organic dyspepsia is caused by an existing illness, drug side effects, or lifestyle. These are the common causes of organic dyspepsia:
· Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
· Hiatal Hernia· Lactose Intolerance
· Irritable Bowel Syndrome
· Peptic Ulcer
· Thyroid disease
· Duodenal Ulcer
· Birth Control Pills
· Thyroid Medicines
Functional dyspepsia, on the other hand, is indigestion with no apparent or clear cause. This is the more common form of dyspepsia and does not have any serious sequelae.
Triggers that can cause or worsen functional dyspepsia:
· Smoking & alcohol
· Smoking & alcohol
· Stress & anxiety
· Helicobacter pylori infection in a small percentage
There is no cure for functional dyspepsia, but symptoms can be managed with lifestyle changes, medications, or both.
Some lifestyle changes that one can do include:
· Reducing or removing the cause of stress and anxiety.
· Avoid food and drinks that can aggravate the symptoms (ex: caffeinated drinks or fatty food).
· Small and frequent intake of food
· Lose weight if overweight or obese.
· Stop smoking and intake of alcoholic beverage
Should you feel any symptoms, there is no room for second guessing. Consult with our doctor’s anywhere, anytime, to give you the care that comforts.