Which is better – face mask or face shield? Face mask and face shield are both protective equipment that we use to prevent on getting the Coronavirus.
Face Mask is used to fully cover the nose and mouth and prevent fluid penetration. Masks should fit snuggly over the nose and mouth. For this reason, masks should have a flexible nose piece and can be secured to the head with string ties or elastic.Face shield, on the other hand, is a personal protective equipment device that is used for protection of the facial area and associated mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth) from splashes, sprays, and spatter of body fluids. The face shield should cover forehead, extend below chin and wrap around side of face.Here are the advantages of both:
● Protect a larger portion of the face however there is no tight seal around the mouth and nose to prevent inhalation or swallowing of tiny particles in the air.
● Can be disinfected easily
● No impact on vocalization
● Reusable and can be cleaned with soap and water or common disinfectants.
● Provides complete protection for the nose and mouth but does not cover the eyes.
● Readily available
Using both shield and mask together is more effective at preventing virus transmission than using only one or the other. Snug-fitting masks alone provide more protection compared to face shields alone. As encouraged by the IATF, both shield and mask should be worn in public.