As the world fights this global pandemic, handwashing has never been more important. This Global Handwashing Day, the main goal for this campaign is to recognize how important handwashing is in reducing the spread of pathogens and prevent infections, including the COVID-19 virus. Health workers and community members alike can play a role in preventing infections by practicing regular and frequent handwashing.
The World Health Organization (WHO) are aiming, as part of the 2020 initiative, to:
1. Make hand hygiene a priority worldwide.
2. Inspire hand ygiene and improving actions.
3. Engage with health care workers in their role in clean care and the prevention of infections.
When should you wash your hands?
1. Before eating
2. Before and after attending to sick children or other family members.
3. Before, during and after preparing food
4. After using the bathroom
5. After handling animals
6. After smoking
7. When deemed necessary
The most effective thing you can do to protect yourself from a variety of infectious diseases, such as common cold, is to wash your hands properly and teach your children to do the same. Washing your hands not only prevents you from getting sick, but it also reduces the risk of infecting others.