Health professionals play a crucial role in enhancing the population’s access to quality health care. They administer primary health care to people, families, and communities, promoting health, preventing diseases, and providing health care services.
Our medical personnel are heroes. We should have known – and recognized this – all along, but the COVID-19 outbreak has really highlighted the value of our healthcare workers. They work long hours, put their health at risk, lose sleep, cry, skip meals, worry about their families, and hold our country together.
We’ve all seen the devastating effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on everyone, but healthcare workers have been particularly hard hit. Now is the time for us to rally behind them may there be a pandemic or not.
Here are some ways to show your support for a healthcare professional in your life:
1. Be a good listener. Your healthcare provider may have lost patients, faced staffing problems, or been concerned about infecting your home. If they want to speak with you, give them your undivided attention. Your loved one may simply need to express oneself after dealing with some challenging patients or family members at work.
2. Let them know how much you value them. Express your gratitude regularly by thanking the healthcare worker in your life and how important their sacrifices have been.
3. Donate food or other supplies. You may also extend and donate to your loved one’s organization. Make sure to ask as to what would be beneficial; many organizations/healthcare workers do not accept outside contributions of masks or equipment. Consider typical dietary requirements (vegan/vegetarian, gluten-free, and lactose intolerance) while ordering meals. Cold food, such as sandwiches or salads, may last longer than hot meal deliveries. In this way, support is extended to his circle too.
4. Make a present for them. There are many different love languages, and some people respond to gifts with the most love. Consider what your healthcare worker enjoys—food, flowers, clothing, or something else—and surprise them with a present.
5. Make sure you look after yourself. If you want to help someone, you must first look after yourself. Take a mental health assessment to see how you’re doing.
This week we are celebrating World Health Worker Week! This is a great opportunity to celebrate health workers and raise awareness about the importance of their work. We, at Medgate, are grateful for our own family and continuing to provide accessible healthcare to Filipinos.