Osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis, is a condition that affects millions of people worldwide. It primarily targets the joints, leading to pain, stiffness, and reduced mobility. Additionally, this article provides a concise overview of osteoarthritis, including its causes, symptoms, and treatment options.
Osteoarthritis develops over time due to several factors. The primary causes include:
- Age: The risk of osteoarthritis increases as we get older, primarily affecting those over 50.
- Joint Overuse: Repetitive stress on the joints, often due to occupational or sports-related activities, can contribute to osteoarthritis.
- Obesity: Excess body weight adds stress to weight-bearing joints like the knees and hips.
- Genetics: A family history of osteoarthritis can elevate your risk.
Common symptoms of osteoarthritis include:
- Joint Pain: Pain may be present during or after movement, and it can worsen over time.
- Stiffness: Due to stiffness, joints may feel rigid, thus making it challenging to move them through their full range of motion.
- Swelling: Inflamed joints might be swollen (or appear to be) and tender to the touch.
- Cracking or Grating: You may hear or feel a grating sensation in the affected joints.
Managing osteoarthritis often involves a combination of approaches:
- Lifestyle Modifications: Maintaining a healthy weight, staying physically active, and avoiding excessive joint stress are essential.
- Physical Therapy: A physical therapist can recommend exercises to improve joint flexibility and strength. Additionally, they may provide guidance on proper form and technique.
- Medications: Both over-the-counter and prescription pain medications can help manage pain and inflammation.
- Injections: Corticosteroid or hyaluronic acid injections can provide relief for certain joints.
- Surgery: In severe cases, joint replacement surgery may be necessary.
Understanding osteoarthritis is the first step towards effectively managing its impact on your life. Furthermore, by recognizing the causes, symptoms, and the array of treatment options available, individuals can make informed decisions to promote joint health, alleviate discomfort, and maintain an active lifestyle.
It pays to be informed
If you suspect you have osteoarthritis, then consult a healthcare professional for a personalized treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Available 24/7 and on holidays, ready to give the gift that comforts.